Goal: Reason regarding capacitors
Source: 283-540 Adding capacitors in series
A capacitor, C1, is connected to a battery until charged, and
then disconnected from the battery. A second capacitor, C2,
is connected in series to the first capacitor. What changes occur in
capacitor C1 after C2 is connected as shown?
- V same, Q increases, U increases
- V same, Q decreases, U same
- V increases, Q decreases, U increases
- V decreases, Q same, U decreases
- None of the above
- Cannot be determined
(5) All quantities remain the same. Some students may consider the
capacitors to be connected in parallel despite the figure.